Join us at Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital, the No. 1 hospital in the Akron Metropolitan Area, where we have been providing world-class care to our community for over 100 years. At Akron General, we strive for patient-centered care and comfort with our collaborative team of healthcare professionals. We are committed to serving the community and treat our patients as family.
As a Anesthesia Technician, you will be under the supervision of licensed anesthesia providers as a part of the anesthesia care team. You will be assisting anesthesia caregivers and CRNAs to provide safe, efficient, and cost-effective anesthesia care in preparation for routine and complex surgical procedures. You will be preparing and maintaining supplies, patient monitoring devices, and anesthesia delivery systems perioperatively. Your primary duties will include:
- Showing understanding with administering Point Of Care testing during requested surgical cases.
- Responding to operating room calls that need aid for anesthesia supplies, pharmaceuticals, blood products, and more during the surgical procedure.
- Understanding the setup, operation, and troubleshooting of anesthesia delivery systems, monitor, and ancillary devices.
- Maintaining equipment by preparing, testing, setup for surgical use, doing preventative maintenance, and routine cleaning.
- Retrieving and appropriately distributing necessary medications to the anesthesiologist or CRNA for the preparation or care of a patient for anesthesia.
The Ideal Candidate is someone who:
- Has strong critical thinking skills and can work under minimum supervision.
- Can demonstrate decisive judgement in stressful situations.
- Shows effective communication skills.
- Shows empathy and compassion in a patient-centered environment.
- Currently has a Basic Life Support certificate.
Cleveland Clinic provides what matters most: career growth, delivering world-class care to our patients, continuous learning, exceptional benefits and working for an organization that offers many long-term career paths. Join us and experience a culture where opportunities to advance and the support to get there go hand in hand.
- Maintain adequate supply of all stock items in work room and keeps the work room clean and in an orderly condition as well as multiple areas of the hospital.
- Appropriately stocks the anesthesia supplies in the OR carts, electrophysiology lab (EP), neuro interventional lab (NIL), MRI, and endoscopy with the required supplies as outlined on the anesthesia stock par list.
- Competent on administering Point Of Care testing during requested surgical cases, as well as take home pager call (24/7) to administer Point Of Care testing at all times if needed.
- Determine the ordering status of supplies if bins are below par and discuss issues with materials management.
- Competent on maintaining and operating the cell saver during requested surgical cases, as well as take home pager call (24/7) to administer cell saver at all times if needed.
- Follow the direction of Anesthesiologists and CRNA's.
- Respond immediately to operating room calls that request assistance regarding anesthesia supplies, pharmaceuticals, blood products, forms, equipment or other items required during the surgical procedure.
- Cleans, disinfects, and returns to sterile processing reusable equipment and instrumentation.
- Cleans transesophageal echocardiography probe with high level disinfectant machine, which includes pager call to clean the probe on a weeknight/weekend if needed.
- Adhere to safety policies & procedures.
- Understand the setup, operation, and troubleshooting of anesthesia delivery systems, monitor, and ancillary devices (i.e. ultrasounds)
- Assist anesthesiologists with procedures.
- Disassemble, decontaminate and sterilize anesthesia equipment and supplies. Report equipment problems to Biomedical engineering.
- Maintains equipment by preparing, testing, and setting up a variety of anesthetic equipment for surgical use; troubleshooting equipment for problems or repairs; performing preventative maintenance and routine cleaning.
- Retrieves, carries, and appropriately distributes necessary medications to the anesthesiologist or CRNA for the preparation or care of a patient for anesthesia.
- Communicates directly with multiple departments including bio-medical, sterile procedure, infection control.
- Responsible for documenting and staying up to date with policies and procedures.
- Maintains specialty carts including MH cart, MRI cart and all airway carts.
- Complete monthly outdate checks in workroom, OR carts and machines, Endo, OB, EP, and MRI.
- Anesthesia Technicians will additionally draw up and administer medications under direction of a physician.
- Call is required for POCT, cell saver after hours, weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Follows Hospital and department policies and procedures with special attention to attendance and punctuality, confidentiality, dress code and display of ID badge, and safety.
- Completes mandatory education and training in order to maintain organization and department-specific competencies and requirements.
- High School Diploma or GED.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- One year experience working in OR Suites with knowledge of patient flow required.
- Experience utilizing aseptic and sterile technique is preferred.
- Anesthesia technician or related anesthesia experience is preferred.
- Extended periods walking (estimated three-four miles per day), standing, lifting and carrying equipment (usually not over 20 lbs.).
- Capable of pushing and maneuvering equipment weighing up to 150 pounds. May be exposed to bodily fluids.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.