Position Title: Philanthropy Director
Location: Waukegan, IL
Are you interested in joining a growing team of mission-driven professionals working together to create a better future-one where people with disabilities are empowered, valued and belong? Are you eager to make a difference in the daily lives of people in your community? Are you willing to make the ask? If so, then we encourage you to continue reading and apply today!
We are looking for a go-getter professional to join Aspire's growing team as the Philanthropy Officer. This person will be responsible for soliciting and stewarding Aspire's growing network of donors with the goal of securing 5-and 6-figure gifts that will lead to life-changing results for those we empower. This person is a doer! They are out in the field, building meaningful relationships with high-worth donors and their networks, connecting them to our vision of boundless inclusion. That means raising general operating funds to support Aspire's annual goals, and executing Aspire's capital campaigns. This person is driven, results-focused, and energized by getting to do a little bit of it all - strategy, campaigning, research, identifying new prospects, packaging proposals, making the ask, and stewarding our amazing givers. Even more, this person is a natural at enthusiastically making calls and connections! If this sounds like you and what you want, then the Philanthropy position at Aspire might be the perfect fit for you!
The following represents the primary position responsibilities, but other related duties necessary to meet the needs of the organization may be assigned.
This position has a hybrid work arrangement, but the majority of time will be spent in the community building relationships across Cook and Lake Counties.
- Lead Aspire's major, planned gifts and fundraising campaigns, including ongoing capital campaigns.
- Build real relationships with a portfolio of donors capable of making game-changing gifts.
- Visit with donors and prospects with a focus on discovery and qualification.
- Develop and package special project proposals and make major gift solicitations that match donor interests with Aspire's needs.
- Steward those in the portfolio and pipeline. Deliver timely and effective follow-up.
- Collaborate with Aspire team members to implement special donor cultivation and stewardship opportunities.
- Evaluate, redesign and update Aspire's major gift approach and pipeline - evaluation of opportunities from annual giving and CRM, research, and flow of prospects pipeline.
- Lead strategy, planning, and implementation of fundraising campaigns, capital campaigns, and planned giving programs.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to the CEO and SVP with major gift portfolios.
- Research prospects and donors to determine giving capacity, interests and the right ask.
- Support fundraising and friend raising events, including planning small group engagements and attending the annual Big City Night gala.
- Maintain timely contact records in the database and analysis of donors managed.
- Develop and share reports, assess, and make recommendations for improvements.
Reporting to this Position: None
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree
- 5-7 years professional experience in fundraising, including 3+ years in major gifts, capital campaigns, and fundraising campaigns
- Successful record of delivering personal solicitations from $50K to $1M
- Experience running fundraising and capital campaigns
Required Skills, Knowledge & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, time management, and project management skills
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to successfully use donor CRM software
- Achieves Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Builds Effective Teams: Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Cultivates Innovation: Creating new & better ways for the organization to be successful.
- Makes Quality Decisions: Making good & timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Tackles the Tough Issues: Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said.
Voted as one of the 101 Best and Brightest Companies to work for in Chicago!
We know that Together, We're Better!
Aspire was founded in 1960 and is recognized as a leader in providing bold, pioneering, and uncompromising services to adults with developmental disabilities, their families, and the community. In 2019, we joined forces with NorthPointe Resources to be one of the most recognized and respected disability service providers across the Chicago metropolitan area, Lake County (Illinois), and southeastern Wisconsin areas.
Full-Time Benefits (regularly scheduled to work at least 37 1/2 hours per week)
- Health Insurance
- Benefit Time (Vacation, Sick, Personal)
- 13 Holidays
- 403(B) Retirement Savings Plan with matching contribution
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Insurances available
Aspire is an equal employment opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, veterans, individuals with disabilities, seniors, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply. Let us know if you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process. In your application, we invite you to select which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs).